While wrestling for the Cowboys from 2001-04, Lewis won Big 12 individual championships in 2001 and 2004 and he compiled a 120-15 record that included 38 falls. He finished fifth at the NCAA championship in 2001, was third in 2002, fifth in 2003 and was the national runner-up in 2004. He was a three-year captain and leader of NCAA champion teams in 2003 and 2004.
After graduating from OSU in 2004 with a degree in secondary education/history, Lewis served as a coach for the Stillwater-based Gator Wrestling Club from 2005-06 before taking his first college assistant job at Oklahoma City University, where he helped the Stars to a 12th-place finish at the NAIA Championship and coached a trio of All-Americans.
Though he was out of coaching in 2007-08 while training full time for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Lewis returned to Stillwater to assist with the Gator Club.
Lewis' name is known in national wrestling circles as he was the 2008 runner-up at both the U.S. Olympic Trials and at U.S. Nationals in the 74 kg/163-pound weight class. He is an alternate for the 2008 Olympic team.
Lewis competed on both the national and international levels after leaving OSU, winning the Sunkist Kids Tournament in 2007 and taking fifth at the Ivan Yarygin Tournament in Siberia. He represented the United States at the 2005 World University Games in Izmir, Turkey and was a training partner for the U.S. Senior World Team as it competed at the 2005 FILA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary.
A native of El Reno, Okla., Lewis graduated from El Reno HS in 1999 as one of the nation's top prep wrestlers. He was a high school national champion as well as a junior national champion.
- Oklahoma State University 2004
Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education: History
- 2017 OSSAA 5-A Coach of The Year
- OSU Academic 2nd team all Big XII
- OSU Academic Hustle Award
- 4x NCAA Wrestling All American
- 4x USA National Team Member
- USA Wrestling Olympic Alternate
- USA University World Team Member
- USA World Cup Team Member
- 2x High School National Champion
- 4x High School All-American
- 2x High School State Champion
- High School USA Dream Team Member
- Ranked #1 overall recruit in 1999
- Head Wrestling Coach, El Reno High School, El Reno, Oklahoma 2015 - Present
- Head Wrestling Coach, Tironook School of Wrestling 2015 - Present
- Head Assistant Wrestling Coach, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 2013 - 2014
- Assistant Wrestling Coach, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 2011 - 2013
- Assistant Wrestling Coach, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 2008 - 2011
- Assistant Wrestling Coach, Oklahoma City University, Norman, Oklahoma 2007 - 2008
Have a question for Coach Tyrone Lewis? Send him an email below